Information for Carers
Are You a Carer?
If you are please let us know - we may be able to help you
Tracy Bridgeman is our Carer Support Adviser and will be happy to help you access support. Tracy is available Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 8:30 am to 16:30 pm – on 020 7138 7888
There is a wealth of information on the NHS website about carers and caring.
Below are some links into the site that we hope you will find useful.
- A guide to care and support: Information for carers and people who have care & support needs.
- Caring for someone: Advice on providing care, medicines etc.
- Care after hospital: Providing care for people who have been recently discharged from hospital.
- Taking a break: Caring for someone can be a full-time job - find out about accessing breaks and respite care.
- Support and benefits for carers: Caring for someone can be a full-time job - find out about accessing breaks and respite care.
- Work and Disability: Guidance, support and help with employment issues.
- Being a young carer: Advice for carers 18 or under and their entitlement to support
Finance and Law
Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance and understanding the legal issues of caring.
- Benefits for carers: Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role
- Benefits for the under-65s: Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to.
- Benefits for the over-65s: Advice and information on financial support for older people with a disability or illness.
- Carer's Assessment: How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits
- Other benefits: Advice for carers and the people they are looking after on claiming a whole host of other benefits unrelated to their disability or caring
Contact Carers Direct
Telephone: 0808 802 0202
Office Hours: Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines.
Other Useful Links
Citizens Advice- Carers
Advice Sevice for people living, working or studying in Southwark who care for an adult or child with a long-term illness, or disabilities. You do not need to be registered as a carer to access this service.
- Tel: 0300 330 1170
Contact a Family Southwark
Information, advice and support for children and young people (5-19) caring for a family member with an illness or disability
- Tel: 0207 358 7799
- Email: email@example.com
Works with a network of partners to support carers in their homes and communities by providing replacement care, advice and emotional support.
Bereavement Advice Centre is a free helpline and web-based information service provided by Co-op Legal Services. They provide practical information and advice and signposting on the many issues and procedures that face us after the death of someone close.
Family Action Southwark Newpin
Family Action Newpin supports parents who are the main carer of a child under the age of five to help them with bringing up the child.
- Tel: 020 7252 8283
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disability Advice Service Lambeth (DASL) is a Disabled People’s Organisation which works with Disabled people, including those with mental health support needs, older people and carers, mainly in the London Borough of Lambeth.
- Tel: 020 7708 4497
- Email: email@example.com